Friday, February 23, 2007

First Wikipedia Edit

Today I made my first Wikipedia edit. I created an article on The Children's Place, which did not yet have a Wikipedia entry. It was not one of my originally planned entries. All of the information currently on the article should be what I have, thus far, written. I added some brief information about the company, such as when they started and where they are located, as well as the basic structure of the stores. I bolded the name initially within in the article because according to the Wikipedia website, this has become a Wikipedia convention, and I wanted the article to be in line with what is expected from the community. A small difficulty I had was finding how to site the article using the footnotes that I have seen in other entries. Having read that articles without citation are frequently subject to removal, I made it a point to figure it out. Some searching led me on the right track and I was able to create my footnotes with reference tags.

However, while the footnotes are present, I can't seem to get it to reference the information I typed in at the bottom of the page for those footnotes. Something to work on. Overall, it worked out pretty well.

2 comments:

Veronika said...

Hey Lydia,
I looked at your article on wikipedia and tried to go to the citations that you put up. I don't know if you tried to make a subheading ==Refrerences== under the article and listing the references that way, thats how I saw it on a few articles. The way you have it now when I clicked on the little number it didn't show me anything and usually it shows you the link or reference that the author got the informatin from. Hope that helps if you didn't already know all that...

Lydia said...

Thanks Veronica,
I did notice that when you click the footnotes it doesn't show anything, but I saw as I was leaving for work that I may somehow be able to tie the footnotes to a reference list. Hopefully I'll figure it out soon, possibly through the tutorial.