Tuesday, March 20, 2007

VALS Survey

It's been alittle while since we've talked about this one in class, but I came across the link to the VALS survey as I was studying for the midterm tomorrow and figured I'd write a quick blog to help me catch up.

First off, I was really surprised that the survey was comprised of so few questions! And most of them seemed to rate you on one of four dimensions. I was expecting something much different. But I guess, overall, as consumers...we're not too complex.

My primary type was an 'Experiencer'. I'm actually really shocked. It states:

'Experiencers are motivated by self-expression. As young, enthusiastic, and impulsive consumers, Experiencers quickly become enthusiastic about new possibilities but are equally quick to cool. They seek variety and excitement, savoring the new, the offbeat, and the risky. Their energy finds an outlet in exercise, sports, outdoor recreation, and social activities. Experiencers are avid consumers and spend a comparatively high proportion of their income on fashion, entertainment, and socializing. Their purchases reflect the emphasis they place on looking good and having "cool" stuff.'

Looking at the descriptions for all the other types, I would've positioned myself in the Makers category. I guess the characteristic that separated me from that group was the fact that I place some value on material possessions. However, the first half of the 'Maker' type was me to a tee.

Or maybe it's just how I see myself in the next few years. Until then, looks like I'll be spending a high portion of my income buying clothes and having fun :-P What a shame!

No comments: