Wednesday, April 4, 2007

ATL

The title has nothing to do with this post, but rather the fact that I am posting from ATL, Ga! I am currently here for a 3rd step interview. I do have some down time though, so I figured it would be a good time to devote to 477.

I just finished reading a post on Slashdot entitled 'Research points the finger at PowerPoint'. Basically the article suggests that it is more difficult to process information if it given to you in the written and spoken form at the same time. While it is effective to speak to a diagram or chart because that exhibit displays something you cannot explain in words, it is not effective to both hear and see the same words. Essentially there are limits on the individual's brain in processing and retaining information in your short-term memory.

One's working memory can only handle about two to three tasks at once. Past this point, mental tasks are lost and forgotten. In our own daily lives, I think, we can see the decline of effectiveness for PowerPoint as we sit in class struggling to read, hear, and write simultaneously. Throw in some problem-solving, and we have already exceeded the limit that provides for an atmosphere of learning and development. I, for one, love PowerPoint and it's possible death alarms me. In keeping PP as a useful business and classroom tool, we should be well-advised to use it when it is needed, and to refrain from doing so when it is not. Charts, pictures, figures, etc. may sit on the screen, but save what you want to say word-for-word for your index cards.

Also don't forget to check out the site for Stiuqxela.

2 comments:

Toby said...

Good luck with your interview process. I live in ATL. Great city to start a marketing/interactive marketing career.

Lydia said...

Thanks, Toby! I just wrapped up my interviews before lunch today so hopefully all is well. I should know within the week :)