Sunday, May 13, 2007

Computer, Ads, and Procrastination

Today I was searching far and wide for something to add to any of my classmate's blogs. Since most of us have been so bogged down with Wikipedia, I decided to choose one of Mike's updates from a little while back. Patrick had also commented on this post by Mike but I still had more to add. Mike's post was about local new stations and their use of websites, which provides more effective advertising.

My main contribution was the fact that these networks have also begun to do the same for their television series. Major networks such as NBC, ABC, and FOX are now permitting you to view their shows on the internet for no cost. This gives people the ability to catch up on the episodes they miss, if necessary, but also for people to gain an interest in the series online. I never turn on my television. Quite possibly the last time I watched TV on my own set was about a year ago. However, this online option is my new best friend, and suddenly I've become a watcher of Dancing with the Stars (don't judge), Drive, Ugly Betty, Lost, and several more. I can watch them on my own time, and with the mini player option, I can watch them while writing papers for class (or my blog post). Also, with each episode, the website randomly generates a sponsor for each commerical break.

During this break the player is at a pre-set volume so that you can not tune the advertising out. Also, many companies have been creating interactive advertisements so that you are involved with the ad. For example, Fidelity Investments 'can make your life easier'. Their online ad for these network shows is a series of ridiculously easy puzzles and questions that you can play with. I can connect the dots (only 2 dots), find the word EASY in a word find of x's, pick my favorite color, etc. Another company, an insurance company, provides a scene and asks you to find the 13 bad omens. They are fun, interactive, and most importantly, unavoidable (you cannot continue the show without passing the ad).

So, if you need a study break, go enjoy some shows (and ads!). My personal favorite: ABC.

No comments: