Sunday, May 13, 2007

Once More, With Gusto!

I've been slacking on my posts in regards to our classwork. Sitting here I think one this we've covered fairly extensive is SEO. It's interesting because despite the time we've devoted to the topic, I'm not sure I actually 'get' it. Even when Alex's friend, Bill, from SEO by the Sea, I was still confused as to how it truly works.

To look it up, I went to our good friend Wikipedia to see what users had to say about SEO, but it didn't add much to what I already know about what influences page ranking. However, I did learn some new terms related to SEO that had not been touched on in class - the concepts of 'white hat' and 'black hat' methods.

A SEO method is considered 'white hat' if it conforms to the guidelines of a search engine and involves no deception. It seeks to ensure that the content a search engine indexes and ranks is the same content that the end user will see.

'Black hat' methods are consequently ones which are disapproved by search engines. The most typical offense related to 'black hat' methods is when a page sends the user to a page different from the one that the search engine ranked.

No comments: